If you need to share files securely with others and you don’t want to risk placing your files on a consumer file sharing site, a good alternative @ Purdue is to use use FileLocker to distribute / share your files.
FileLocker is a free Purdue system that allows large files (up to 1 GB) to be securely uploaded and distributed. Files are encrypted within the system and you can protect files with a download password that non-Purdue people can use to fetch the file.
For example, instead of sending out CD’s in the mail to distribute a large file, you could upload it to FileLocker to enable others to securely download it. If you need to share a group of files and folders, you could upload a ZIP file to FileLocker.
Here is a blurb from the FileLocker online help:
Learn how to share an uploaded file with anyone using a publicly available URL
1. After uploading a file, click on the file that you want to share and check the box next to “Public Share”.
2. Once the box is checked, you’ll be prompted to choose which email addresses should receive a link to the file you are sharing. You must also specify whether the share will expire after one use, or whether it can be downloaded repeatedly.
3. If the file may be downloaded repeatedly, you must specify a password that must be entered before the file can be downloaded. You will have to communicate this password to any intended recipients of the file through some other secure means (phone, encrypted email, etc).
4. Once you click share, a publicly accessible URL to download the file will be created, any email addresses you’ve entered will be sent an email notifying them that file is now available at the generated URL, and the URL will be displayed.
5. You may view the publicly accessible download URL and send it to additional people by email at any time after you share the file publicly by clicking on the “(view link)” text next to the Public Share checkbox.
You can find more information about FileLocker on these web pages:
Here is the direct link to the FileLocker login page (requires Purdue career account to log in):
Thank you and happy file sharing!