In other words, reasons not to forward your Purdue email to a non-Purdue email service:
1. Purdue email is considered an official Purdue record.
2. Purdue is legally liable to protect and retain Purdue records, including student information regulated by FERPA that may be conveyed in email and email attachments.
3. Using consumer email systems for Purdue email, when not contractually obligated to Purdue, causes Purdue to lose control of records, and circumvents Purdue access controls. Purdue has created access controls to protect and provide secure access email. The security of 3rd party email systems cannot be guaranteed by Purdue. While some email users may be able to safely forward their Purdue email to a non-Purdue email account, employees who handle official Purdue data are bound by Purdue policy to ensure that Purdue data remains protected in ways that comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
4. The Purdue records retention policy must be complied with even if Purdue email if forwarded to a non-Purdue server.
5. Consumer email systems are typically commercial data-mining systems. Purdue students and employees may not consent to having their email messages forwarded to, or entered into, a commercial data-mining system and tracked/indexed or potentially targeted with advertising, etc.
6. Caching a Purdue career account username password on a consumer email system that Purdue has not legally contracted puts Purdue systems and/or accounts at risk. It is OK for users to do this for their personally owned email and their own data, but this practice puts the data of students and Purdue data in genral at risk.
7. When forwarding all Purdue email to a personal email account, a freedom of information act records request could impact someone’s personal account, and potentially bring personal email into litigation. Or it could cause Purdue to become out of compliance with laws that require Purdue to control and access Purdue-owned data.
College of Education : Purdue University : West Lafayette, IN 47907-2098 : Phone: 765-494-2341 : Fax:765-494-5832 : Email: